Friday, January 12, 2018

Bippity Bop Barbershop, by Natasha Anastasia Tarpley

Every time my husband takes my son to the barbershop, they reenact this book - my husband does a silly knock on my son's door ("Bippity-be-bop-bop"), they get dressed together, and then stop for coffee and pastries on the way (though I've been informed the new cupcake shop has been more of an attraction lately).  Coincidentally, my son has the same haircut the boy and his father get in this story.  My son was initially terrified of the barbershop, and much preparation and many, many readings of this story went into his first trip.

However, this isn't merely an occasion book.  We read it constantly.  It's an appealing story about a boy overcoming his fears with his dad's assistance (similar to Jabari Jumps) and, though this may seem like an odd compliment - a great length.  It was one of the first big-boy books we read with our son and he was so drawn into the story that he didn't notice that it was substantially longer than the books we typically read.


I Love My Hair! was created by the same author and illustrator team.

2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog. Has your family read Crown: An ode to the fresh cut by Derrick D. Barnes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have not! Thanks for the rec, I just put it on our list to check out!

      Delete

Fatima's Great Outdoors, by Ambreen Tariq and illustrated by Stevie Lewis

  BUY HERE (or, even better, request at your local library!)