Thursday, December 6, 2018

Sisters & Champions, by Howard Bryant

My son and I are both obsessed with the Williams sisters (and tennis), which is why I was so excited when I came across this children's book discussing their childhood and rise to fame!  The fact that it is written by Howard Bryant (a black author) and illustrated by Floyd Cooper (a black illustrator) is an added bonus.

The book does touch on the fact that Venus and Serena were raised in a rough neighborhood and have faced racism, but the focus is on their hard work, incredible talent, and close relationship.  The story doesn't have too much of a narrative arc, so I'd primarily recommend this book for tennis fans and those interested in exposing their children to important black historical figures.

BUY HERE (or request at your local library!)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Fatima's Great Outdoors, by Ambreen Tariq and illustrated by Stevie Lewis

  BUY HERE (or, even better, request at your local library!)