Thursday, December 14, 2017

The Night Before Christmas, by Rachel Isadora

I searched far and wide for a version of The Night Before Christmas featuring a black Santa.  I don't know why it took me so long to locate this one, illustrated by one of our favorites - Rachel Isadora (I also highly recommend her retellings of classic fairy tales).  The story itself is the traditional one (including the line about Santa's pipe and the smoke encircling "his head like a wreath" - at which point in the reading my son and I always say "Santa, stop smoking!" in mock shock), but the illustrations are of a traditional African village.

BUY HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fatima's Great Outdoors, by Ambreen Tariq and illustrated by Stevie Lewis

  BUY HERE (or, even better, request at your local library!)